Zeyrek Mosque

The religious structure that remained from the Eastern Roman period is one of the important representatives of the cultural heritage of Istanbul.


Zeyrek Mosque is located in Fatih district, Zeyrek, in İbadethane Street in a spot overlooking the Golden Horn. The building which is presently used as a mosque was originally the church of Pantocrator Monastery, one of the greatest monasteries of Istanbul at that period, which was commissioned by Ionnes Comnenos’s wife Eirene.

Building’s construction was completed in 1136. During Latin invasion, this monastery was captured by Catholic priests. And after the conquest of Istanbul, the monastery was transformed to a medresse and its church to a mosque by Sultan Mehmed the Conqueror.

It got its name from its first professor Molla Zeyrek Mehmet Efendi. The mosque which underwent serious repairs at the end of 18th century was restored for the most part from 1966. However, presently it is in need of maintenance and repairs again.

The building which is comprised of three adjacent structures is made of tile. The roof of the building is covered with five domes. It has a minaret with single balcony. The floor tiling which were discovered during restoration is one of the unequalled examples reaching from that period to date and is of amazing beauty.

What do you think ?